Saturday, December 29, 2007

People?

Twenty storeys
That’s what it looked like
One huge giant in front of me.

Ok I said to myself
This is it
As I climbed
Smiled at each face which crossed me

But each one…
They didn’t smile.
They laughed.
Laugh?

That’s supposed to be nice,
I opened the door
17th floor
Wow

So many suns
So many moons.
So many smiles
So many laughs

Six months
A big party
Huge moon
Celebration

As I walked I realised
All laughed again
What was so funny
Why couldn’t I laugh

Just when I was pondering
Some of them walked towards me
They kept coming closer
And closer

One pulled me
Other dragged me
I screamed
But people were laughing

Suddenly I was in the middle
And they all were around
Walking and clapping
And of course laughing


One by one they tried to touch me
Nails on my had
My head band on the ground
Finally one tore me blouse

They stripped me
One by one
They hurt me
They laughed

I yelled
I hid
I shrugged
I wept

Not one
Who came
Helped me
Why?

They laughed
Louder
Cheered
Clapped

One by one they left
Seventeenth floor
I shut the door
I had lost my shame

The mirror
Sinfully saw me
Naked from within
Stripped of all myself

I sat
One more sun
I walked out
So many faces

They all smiled
They didn’t laugh?
Why aren’t they laughing?
Why am I not upset?

Next day a young man
A gentleman
A taxi and a suitcase
Sixteenth floor

Walked up to me
Smiled
I tried to smile
But I could hear myself laugh

Why am I laughing
Laughing at someone I don’t know
What happened to me
I had become one of them

Them?
No
I had become
The people

No comments: